Saturday, August 13

Killer Single Digit Countdown

Well ladies and gentlemen we are into single digits. Our due date is just nine days away--that can be counted on two hands with a finger to spare! Over the past two days something has happened in my mind/heart and I'm not exactly sure what it is.

As previously mentioned several times, this has been a great pregnancy and I have thoroughly enjoyed it! Largely in part I believe because there hasn't been anything not to enjoy. 

8.11.11
38.5 Weeks Pregnant
But something has changed.

Sometime in the last 48-72 hours, I no longer want to be pregnant forever--which I never really did but I had the mindset that I'd be content with it :)-- but rather I'd like to have this baby today! Am I overly achy, uncomfortable, and barely able to waddle?! Absolutely not! Physically nothing is different other than the occasion [what I believe to be] tightening contractions, but in my heart and mind, I'm just ready for this experience. I'm ready to meet the one that we created. [I'm ready to find out what we created!] I'm ready for our parents to meet their newest grandchild. I'm ready. But the lil' one isn't. 

Here's my Catch-22: this entire pregnancy I've very much wanted everything to go as "naturally" as possible. I understand and appreciate the technology and medical advancements that have been made over the last several decades, but there have been many things that I think many women with a low-risk pregnancy have done or not done simply because of those developments. I know it's a different time, but if thousands of women in generations before have been just fine living their lives while pregnant, then I'm with them. A large part of this "natural" desire won't come to fruition until labor and delivery. I really want that to be as natural as possible as well. By no means am I saying that I absolutely refuse to have any pain medication or if it is truly medically necessary I'd refuse medical intervention, but what I am saying is that God made women the way that He did for a purpose. One of those purposes is to be able to bear children, even if the ins and outs of it all doesn't make complete sense. I know my body can do it, it's just a matter if it will. [Yes, I've heard many responses to "my theory" on the whole birthing process, including the challenge to shove a basketball in a garden hose and explain what's natural about that--thanks Jake! But know that I'm not closed off to options and interventions, I just know what my preference is.]

Furthermore, I really don't want to be induced. Again, not the end of the world if it happens, but after reading books/articles and talking with many, in many circumstances the benefits don't outweigh the negative consequences. This is my real current Catch-22: I'm ready for this baby now but this baby isn't ready now. So I just have to wait it out hoping that I don't have to wait too long especially because I really don't want to have to start school! [In the mean time, you better believe that I'm trying any of the reasonable natural methods of inducing on my own!!]

Girls Night Group awaiting the lil' ones debut!
So here we are. 9 days from our due date. Anxiously awaiting. Wondering if "any day" could mean today. Hoping that it does. 3 out of four in Chris' family were born on the 13th, so maybe this is our lucky day!

Note: Can I just say that I am even more anxious now that as I went to post this onto Facebook, I noticed that TWO lovely ladies who are due after me, welcomed or are welcoming their little ones into the world today!! Ahh!! The suspense! I just got to keep telling myself, the lil' one is easier to take care of inside than out!!

1 comment:

  1. Congrads and Good Luck on your Special Day !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete