Friday, August 5

A Glimpse into the Future

Last night we had the joy of having our 4-year old niece and 1-year old nephew over for a little slumber party of sorts. With less than 3 weeks until our own little one is due to arrive, and with the list of things their mom needed to complete for their vacation next week, it was perfect timing to squeeze in a little quality time before our life gets a little more crazy!


One of the first things Sondra said after her mom left was, "So, where am I going to sleep? Where's my room?" Previously the nursery was called "her" room, so prior to this overnight stay, I was a little curious how she'd like the fact that "her" room was now going to be the "baby's room". After giving her all her options of where she could sleep, she was okay with giving up "her" room and letting Stu sleep in there and she'd sleep somewhere else. Whew! That went easily enough!


At suppertime, Sondra asked if we could go to the park so after eating and picking all the cold noodles and green beans off Stu's belly, we packed up and headed to the "volleyball park". [Last summer I took the kids with me to volleyball practice a couple of times so Temple's school playground was label "volleyball park" by Miss Sondra.] Because we received two strollers as shower gifts, it worked perfectly without persuasion for each of us to pick a stroller and pick a kid and begin our walk. Actually because Sondra is 4, she naturally fit in the jogging stroller better and because I'm a girl, I naturally should push Sondra's stroller. [There's some 4-year old logic for ya!] After explaining why we have two types of strollers even though we are not having twins and relating this to the same reason she has cowgirl boots and flip-flops, we made it to the parking lot and then to the playground.


Both Stuart and Sondra were excited to get out of the strollers and start climbin', swingin', slidin', and make believin'! At one point I was a green pirate that tasted like hamburger and Chris was Captain Black Beard leading the ship! Both kids were excited as they accomplished new feats, even if they needed a little assistance from us big kids!


She was contemplating her attack
on the pirates at this moment.
Hence the lack of smile!

How can you not love that lil' face and mohawk?!

Here's what I get when I ask for a smile.
Close enough right?!


With bathtime and bedtime shortly approaching we headed back to the house. We were only stopped once by a curious mowing neighbor. After looking at each stroller and then my stomach, "Ahhh, do you have one of each there?" Chris smiled and replied, "Yep, there's one of each but they are our niece and nephew. The only one we have is still inside!" As we continued on I thought though how easily this could be our reality in "child spacing". 3 years difference and then 14 months difference. Jake and I are 14 months apart and Zac is 3 years younger than me. Momma-cita said she would get comments when she had all three of us out and I'm not too surprised! :)


Back at the house, Sondra started out in the tub [it must have been a great bath because at one point I heard her comment "Ahhh, now this is what I call a bath!"] and then Stuart joined in the bubble fun. Two clean kids later with bubbles everywhere, it was time to wind down. Of course the next thing on the agenda was Monsters, Inc. [Sondra has 3 things that she does nearly every time she comes to our house: 1. Take a bubble bath. 2. Brush her teeth. 3. Watch Monsters, Inc. This visit was no exception.] Sondra laid and watched it as Stu danced in circles until eventually the movie was over and both were fast asleep. Chris and I were quick to follow in slumber!


An hour later, I was up. I just had to make sure both kids were contently sleeping. :)


An hour later, I was up. Stu was whimpering/crying. A quick diaper change and 10 second back rub and he was out again.


An hour and an half later, I was up. A bathroom break on my part and a water bottle fill up for Stuart and we were all asleep again.


5:40am, I was up. Stuart was a bit fussy, low on water, and had a diaper that weighed the same as a bag of bricks [note all the water I gave him :S ]. Within 5 minutes of a little chat, he was out and I was back in bed. I told Chris I was just hoping to make it to 6:45-7 before they were up for the day.


8:30am, Chris and I were up. Surprised the kids were zonked, we began our days. Both of us would walk by each of the sleeping beauties just to see their peace and contentment. I started breakfast and slowly everyone was up and ready to eat.

Little Sleeping Beauties!


After Chris left for work, the kids and I continued to play. Glow in the dark coloring, bouncing on the air mattress, dice, rolling on the exercise ball, Astro Boy. Mix in a couple nasty diapers and our morning quickly passed. [I even got a load of laundry washed, dried, and folded! That doesn't usually happen on a good day without any distractions!] Jake and Joie picked up the kids and now I wait for Chris to get off work. Tonight we're headed to a Dayton Dragons game with Mom, Dad, Zac, Jake, Joie, and the kids! More fun to come, I am sure!

Favorite Pic from the Park :)

So all in all, the last 19 hours with the Dynamic S Duo was quite fun! We enjoyed getting to try out many of our shower gifts and the glimpse into the future. Even more we enjoyed spending time with such cute lil' personalities! [Even if Chris commented as he was falling asleep last night, "I'm glad with just start with one!"] :)

2 comments:

  1. You guys are going to be awesome parents!!! This little one is already so blessed!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joy! We are lookng forward to giving it our best!

    ReplyDelete