Monday, July 11

Nursery? Check!

Yesterday we marked a big check on our baby-to-do list! And besides ordering our breast pump [back order on Amazon] and car seat base, I *think* it was the last thing to do! I don't have any other projects in mind at this point, so we may be done here! Of course if I spend too much time in the coming days browsing other websites I may find quite a bit to do in the next 6 weeks! [Yep, that's right, 6 weeks from today is our due date! It'll be here like *flash* that! Chris just said last week that he's ready to "get this thing started and for the baby to just be here"! :) ]

Back to the nursery. Because our little one is modest stubborn and we don't know if we have an Ainsley or a Jacoby in the works, it was much more difficult for us to decide what we wanted to do with the nursery. Add to that the fact that I am frugal and slowly things just kind of came about. The room was already painted tan--gender neutral check--from the previous owner so we left that alone.

Here's the first wall; the hand-me-down wall. We've got 2 dressers from my parents garage, a piece of photography that Chris took [it's actually just still hanging in there and has nothing to do with the nursery :) ] and a $6 clock my 'rents and I found on sale at Menard's. I actually debated quite a bit if I wanted the clock even though I liked the design. I wasn't sure if I'd want to know what time it was in the middle of the night while in the nursery! Dad convinced me that I wouldn't be able to read it without the light on anyways, so I didn't have to know! :) Between the two dressers is a cradle that will eventually go into our bedroom when I get that cleaned up and reorganized. It has been in my dad's fam for decades. My grandpa and his siblings, my dad and his siblings, and nearly all of my Clum cousins and my siblings have slept in this cradle over the years. For the sentimental value of it, I'm really excited for Baby Massie to rock to sleep the very same way that his/her Great-Grandpa Clum rocked many, many moons prior.



The short dresser has a changing pad on it,
and a basket of newborn diaps that a friend's babe
never needed.




Passed down cradle.
I was going to make mini-crib sheets for this,
but a package of gifted receiving blankets was
just the perfect size!



Heading around to the next wall, which is pretty boring, we have a lamp with a shade from IKEA [that I've had wrapped up for two years] and a brown suede ottoman from Ollie's that's already filled with toys and books. I was going to make one of these, and then I could only find black so I was going to make a brown cover for it, then I went back to the store and they had a huge stack of brown ones already there! I decided for less than ten bucks I couldn't make one better! Under the window there's also a rocking chair than was my Great-Grandma Mac's. Thankfully she was short too, so the seat is low to the ground! Perfect for my short legs! :) Currently hanging out in the chair is the pillow and elephant that I made and have a much better picture of here!

Window Wall.
Sorry for the crappy cellphone picture. The sun coming
through the window when I took it with my other
camera made everything else nearly impossible to see.

IKEA Lamp shade. Top left.


The next wall is the crib wall, which is one of my favorites. :) Instead of a mobile, I made some colorful tissue pom-poms to suspend from the one corner. Then of course is our crib with the crib sheets and skirt that I made. [Both crib sheets are layered on the crib with waterproof pads in between. We're ready for those middle of the night explosions! :) Above the crib is some wall art that I made. This is one of my favorite two things about the room! I debated and debated, searched and searched, picked up and put down tons of ideas and supplies for the wall art, but then ended up making this project in my head. For less than $15 and some creative juices, they were complete! I love 'em!

Here's where we added our big pops of color!
Close up of wall art.
It's difficult to tell from the picture, but the animals
stand off from the canvas due to the use of foam board
and then the elephant's ear sticks out a lil' more as well. 
Believe it or not, there is a method to
that organizational madness!


The last wall is the wall with the closet. A quick peak inside the closet shows the dozen or so outfits that the lil' one has waiting as well as lots of other supplies. We still haven't cleared all our stuff--Chris' shoes, old t-shirts and a couple storage tubs--out of the closet, but once we do, it won't look so stuffed. As of this point, we don't need a ton of closet hanging space since there aren't too many gender neutral clothes out there anyways. I'm sure the clothing department will be made up for in the coming weeks after Baby Massie's arrival!

We also have over 30 bottles of baby wash/lotion/oil/etc. stocked up on the shelves all completely free due to couponing! This was a deal I don't think I've ever mentioned on here because it was prior to the world knowing that we were expecting! :) The stash of baby wipes is pretty good as well, but those weren't free! :)



And now for my other favorite part. From the very beginning of "nursery talk", Chris and I discussed doing some sort of painting or such on one of the walls. We didn't know what, but we wanted something. Well after not know exactly what and not 100% confident in our artistic abilities, I began looking at various websites for vinyl wall decals. This is what we ended up going with! We know how to use stickers! :) After searching and searching, we found a colorful, geometric-ish tree that we really liked so then I began the search for the best deal! That lead us to tangtrade.com. Think Asian ebay. I was a bit leery about placing an order through them, but I've wasted money in a lot dumber ways so I went ahead. Now because our lil' package was coming Hong Kong it took nearly 3 weeks to arrive [a week longer than expected], but overall it was no biggie! On Saturday I had to go to the post office to sign off on the package, so yesterday we put it up!

We decided to put it on the closet doors to add color there are well. Less than an hour of putting up stickers and for $15 we completed the "final" nursery project! And we both love the fun that it brings to everything!

33 weeks and 6 days pregnant!
So there you have it! The drawn out tour of our little nursery! A big ol' check off the list and now all we need is a baby bundle to fill it hopefully in 5 weeks! [We're going to start having some conversations about coming a week early! ;) ]

1 comment: