Thursday, July 7

Honkin' Truck Drivers

There is certainly something I don't understand when it comes to truck drivers and I am hoping that someone can enlighten me as to what is going on!

Nearly everytime that I drive on the interstate [more than just a few miles], I get honked at! No it's not flattery and no I am not that crazy woman cutting you off. If either were the case, I wouldn't be so baffled! I honestly can't figure it out. It happens when I am in the left lane and there is a semi in the right lane. I commonly get a single toot as I slowly pass it.

Here's the reasons I've come up with:

1. I have been on my cell phone. While this isn't always the case, probably 25% of the time it was so I thought that perhaps this was the driver's way of saying "Yo! Lady! Get off your phone and pay attention to the road!!"

2. My tire is flat. I left the gas tank open. My head/tail light is burnt out. Or something of the sorts. This is what I commonly think is going on because it's very Rachel-ish, but I continue driving for the next several miles paranoid and looking around! It's not the case though.

3. I have invisible ink visible to only truck drivers on the top of my car that says "Honk at me, please!" This is the more realistic of the three options, because it's the only one that I can't disprove.

Nevertheless probably half the time I am on the interstate for more than a few miles, I'll have at least one trucker honk at me as I pass them. It drives me bonkers! I then spend the next few miles having the conversation in my head that I just had here! [This happened again this afternoon after dropping my lil' bro off at Country Concert, so that's why it's fresh in my mind again!]

So any suggestions? What's going on? Am I just crazy?!

4 comments:

  1. I believe it's thier way of telling you it's clear to come back over... not for sure, of course I am no trucker. This is just what I think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father is a truck driver, has been for years, and from the store I hear... you should be extremely flattered! It's one of two things, they're either telling you it's safe to come back over- but typically they flash their lights three times for that (day or night) or the more likely of the two is that they sit MUCH higher then you (considering you don't drive a really tall truck) and they can see directly down onto you when you pass. They have been known to be able to see down shirts (even just normal tanks), and can see your legs in shorts or skirts. I've riden in my dads truck- it's completely true. You can see things from up there you don't even think about while driving! ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh geesh! Sadly it's not that they are telling me it's safe to come back over because I'm usually right next to them when they honk. As far as the other option, Jackie, I'll have to wear turtlenecks and see what happens! If that is the case, then it baffles me why men check some ladies out. Seriously, I was whistled at loading my car in Meijer's parking lot by a 65-year old man. T-shirt, non-short shorts, and 7 months pregnant! Nut case! :)

    ReplyDelete