Friday, July 15

Easy as Pie

I'm crossing another goal off the ol' list, and oddly enough it's another food goal. [It seems like those are the only goals I'm checking off right now, but that will soon changed this weekend, so hold tight.

Goal Accomplished: 7. Make a pie from scratch.

When I ran to the grocery store to pick up some odds and ends for this weekend, I decided to go ahead and get some on-sale-peaches to make my first ever pie from scratch. I almost bought pie filling, but decided that's cheating a bit.

I started out making the crust using a recipe in a Betty Crocker cookbook and did great with that until I got to the last ingredient: buttercream. Crap. I don't even know what that is, let alone have it in my house. Luckily for me, on the back cover there's a list of ways to make emergency substitutions. For buttercream it said to add lemon juice or vinegar to milk and let it sit for 5 minutes, then use as buttercream. End result: buttercream must be synonymous for chunky milk. :S

Crust was done and rolled our so I began cutting up the peaches [I also found the peach pie recipe in the same Betty Crocker cookbook.] Peaches are one of those fruits that I can't really figure out. Trying to slice them up and easily remove them from the pit is nearly impossible for me. I've only successfully done this twice! After staring at the peach and trying to figure out if you are supposed to peel them for a pie, I finally got all the peaches sliced up, and peeled. :) Only two slices fell to casualties flying across the kitchen as I battled the pits!

Crust ready & peaches sliced.


After completing the filling and spooning it on the crust, I made a lattice top and popped it into the oven. Forty-five minutes later and with twelve minutes to spare before I needed to be at spin class, my first ever [peach] pie made from scratch was complete.

Baked & Ready to Indulge!

Now I must wait until Chris gets home from work so we can try enjoy a slice a la mode!

4 comments:

  1. It looks great! I've never made peach pie, only rhubarb.

    Are you sure you don't mean buttermilk? I know an easy substitution for buttermilk is to add a bit of vinegar or lemon juice... buttercream is a type of frosting. Or maybe Betty Crocker just has really cool names for things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! Yep, you are right! It was buttermilk, not buttercream! I thought that sounded funny when I put it because I knew that was a common type of frosting, but I just went with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks good!...So..How did it taste??

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was quite good, especially warmed up and with vanilla ice cream!! It actually reminded me a lot of apple pie.

    ReplyDelete