Tuesday, June 14

Waterpark & Another 5k

Last Friday I chaperoned a field trip to the Columbus Zoo and its attached waterpark, Zoombezi Bay aka Wyandot Lake! On Tuesday at our teacher workday, my coworker who was heading up the trip mentioned that they needed more chaperones--they only had one who was able to ride the bus and stay all day--so I thought "What the heck?! Sign me up!" I didn't have plans and Chris was working all day and night so it wouldn't take time away from us either!

So Thursday night I laid out all my stuff and headed to bed. It was a good thing I did. Friday the bus was scheduled to leave at 8am and we were supposed to be there by 7:45 in order to eat breakfast prior to take off. I woke to my alarm reading 7:50. Awesome.

"Aaaahhhhhh!!! Chris! The bus leaves in 10 minutes!" I leaped out of bed and threw on the clothes I had laid out. Brushing my teeth, I determined my hair was a hopeless hot mess so I quickly grabbed a hat and was heading for the door. As I made the corner out of the hallway towards the door, Chris was standing there with his hands out. Keys in one hand and water bottle in the other. What a man!! A quick kiss and I was out the door. Lucky for me, I live a hop, skip and a jump away from the school. Unlucky for me, I hit all but two lights in that hop, skip and jump! Regardless, I pulled in at 8:02 and half the students were inside using the restroom one last time before departure. I plopped myself in the bus seat waited for everyone to load up and we were off.

When we arrive at the Zoo it was raining pouring and because of lightening, Zoombezi Bay was currently closed. Nevertheless we unloaded in the rain and headed to the entrance. Soaked by the time we got there, we huddled under every available covering. When it let up a bit, we were off to the zoo to check out the indoor exhibits. We managed to keep decently dry for a couple hours going indoor exhibit to indoor exhibit and eventually the rain let up.

After meeting up for lunch, Zoombezi Bay was open and that's exactly where we were headed. I had four students who pretty much stuck with me the rest of the day. We started off "tame" on the lazy river and then the students were ready for some slides. Now I recognize that I was nearing 30 weeks preggo, but that wasn't going to stop me from having a good time.

The first slide they went on I passed. It was like the burlap sack slide at the fair, but instead you laid on your stomach on a foam mat. Many people think I'm crazy for being as active as I am while pregnant, but fear not, I drew the line on this one.
I passed on this one. I'm sure the lil' one--
and my mom--will thank me!


That's the only line I drew. My students even saw the signs that said that pregnant people weren't to ride the rides and questioned me. I informed them I wasn't pregnant, just fat. You can imagine the interesting conversations and odd looks that occurred when the girls would start a conversation, "Well Ms. Massie, since you're fat..." :)
The anticipation to this ride caused the most fear.
Rightfully so. I was a bit scared as we dropped into the
giant toilet bowl! We were all smiles in the end though.

I rode and even held hands with shaky-nearly crying-15 year old girls and encouraged them to ride all the other slides. We had so. much. fun! It was fun to see and be a part of these teenagers' lives. One girl in particular said countless times that she's never done anything so fun, even though she was the fearfullest of them all. [I told her not to worry, we're at a waterpark, if she's scared and pees her pants, no one will know! :) ]

Despite the rushed and wet morning, the day turned out beautifully and everyone had a great time. And I managed to closely resemble a lobster.

The next morning my parents picked me up for 5k #4 of the year. Mister was unable to join us as he had to work that morning. We arrived at Harrod for the Pork Rind Festival 5k, registered and received my neon-highlighter yellow participants shirt. After waiting for the start time to near, we were off. There weren't very many participants but I was fairly certain there were at least some walkers so goal #1: Don't be last. would be easy to accomplish. They fired the cannon to start us and we were off. Less than a quarter of a mile into the run, the 10 year old daughter of a coworker of mine was walking back in tears. Her dad was a head of me and she sobbed to him, "I can't do it! I'm going to pass out! I'm going to pass out!" We both knew that she just started off too fast trying to keep up with the top runners, so we encouraged her to turn around and walk. I knew that her dad was willing to walk with her, but I could tell he wanted to run it as well. So I volunteered to walk with her. I told her and her dad that I'd walk with her as long as she needed it and then if she felt better we could jog again.

She dried her tears and agreed.

I explained to her that we could just walk as long as we needed and then when she felt good again we'd jog. If she got tired, we'd walk again. That's what I do after all anyways. After about 2 utility poles, she looked up to me and said she was ready to jog again, so I said, "Alright, let's do it!" Now I forgot that to a ten year old "jog" meant take off sprinting--a lot faster than my typical wogging! So I began to jog and she was off! [She ended up finishing in less than 30 minutes, and didn't pass out!]

I continued at my own rate and felt pretty good except the fact that my sports bra straps were bouncing on my freshly burnt shoulders. My goal is always jog the first mile and then I give myself permission to walk if need be. Well there wasn't a mile marker, but I thought I remembered where the 1 mile mark should be about from GoogleMaps so I jogged there plus 2 utility poles' distance. I noticed the water station was just ahead so I jogged until that point then walked as I drank my water and then got to the next house [I like to start and stop jogging and places that I can go back and find on GoogleMaps to be able to see how far I jogged/walked/wogged. I continued jogging, and only stopped to walk one other time towards the end.

In the end I finished with a 38:30 time. Which isn't my worst but wasn't too bad for 30 weeks pregnant. I think I would've been about 37 minutes had I not stopped with Kianna at the beginning of the run. I was proud of myself for two reasons though:

1. I have never only stopped 3 times to walk before--and that includes stopping with Kianna. I've never counted how many times I've stopped before, but I know it was much more than that!

2. When I went back and GoogleMapped my walking distances, it was less than .5 miles. I'm sure this was this least amount I've ever walked before as well.

So in the end I was proud of myself for the amount of time I wogged even though it was a slower pace and that I only walked 3 times. Oh, and I got a sweet door prize and a medal for getting 2nd in my age group!

Coming soon will be a post about our nursery that's nearing completion as we have less than 10 weeks left in the countdown! Craziness!

Until next time, friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment