Tuesday, June 21

Emotional [Sun]day

Pretend you are reading this on Sunday; I’m a bit late posting. :)

Today was an unexpectingly emotional day. It’s Father’s Day and since it’s Sunday, Chris and I headed to church. We went to Sunday School and then across the parking lot to church. As we entered into church there was a commercial video playing about Man-dles aka candles with man scents. Think locker rooms, jock straps, and cut grass. It was quite humorous, but that's where the humor ended.

The choir sang a song [which I don’t remember what it was called] and while they were singing there was a video playing that depicted an elderly couple sitting on their couch looking through an album recapping their lives. Cute, in love elderly couples always pull at my heartstrings, but this day was particularly pulling. As I watched this couple on the big screen, I thought about how each of my grandmas were sitting alone for the first time in decades on this Father’s Day. I couldn’t even imagine. It was hard to think about. By the end of the song, with a couple deep breaths, the tears had dried up, but the thoughts were still running ramped.

Then Pastor Jonathan sang a song about a relationship between a father and a son and how the dad wants to be sure to live his life like Christ’s because he knows that his little boy wants to be just like his dad and dad wants the little boy to be like Christ. Go on, pull at my heart some more. Instead of the somber thoughts of my grandmas being without their husbands and my parents both being without their fathers for the first Father’s Day in their lives, my mind went to how in 2 short months, Chris will be that dad, and the joy that that thought brings. I am so confidence in his role as a father and I’m sure just as often that I catch myself smiling gazing at our lil’ babe, I’ll catch myself gazing at Chris interacting with our babe! I’m already guilty of that when he interacts with our niece and nephews. :) So there were some [more] tears there, but I’m pretty sure I saw some welling up in Mister’s eyes as well having similar thoughts.

Pastor Charlie preached and then concluded the service with a challenge. He charged all the married men in the church to come forward. Now usually at this point there are maybe a handful of people who go forward for one reason or another, but this morning was different. Nearly immediately Chris and many, many other men went forward to pray. I’m not 100% sure what it was, but there is something about men being men and standing up to lead that hits deep. As Pastor Charlie continued to challenge the men, more and more came to the front. It was awesome. To be completely real, what he said to them, was probably the best words that I have ever came out of his mouth. It was like I was a fly on the wall that was able to hear men talk heart to heart and challenge each other to be better—better men, better husbands, better friends, better fathers. I could sit in on that conversation every Sunday day!

Lastly after church Chris helped me pack for a week in Grand Rapids. I have training for school through Friday and while I know that it’ll be good and productive, I hate the idea of being away from Chris so long! Ten miles out, I had some tears welling.

 ******************************************************************************

And now it is Tuesday, and I wished that/feel like it should be at least Thursday. I miss home. I miss Chris. I’m going to continue to try to get everything out of this conference so I can be best prepared—well so that I can best prepare my long-term sub—for the kick off to the year and beyond, but Friday at noon I'll be celebrating all of my 3.5 hour drive home! I may even make it home in less time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment