Sunday, June 5

My "Last" Weekend

Today marks the final day of my last true weekend.

By definition the weekend is:  the end of the week; specifically: the period between the close of one work or school week and the start of the next. By all means, part one of the definition will continue to ring true. The end of each week will continue to come and go, but for part two not so much. Today is my last weekend--my last close of one work or school week and the start of the next.

With tomorrow being my students' last day of school and then Teacher Workday/Interviewing taking place on Tuesday my next "start of the next" won't come until early October! [Holy moly that's forever away!!] This summer I have a week of training for school and lots of planning for next year, but I am not officially working anywhere and won't be again until after Baby Massie is in our arms!

So in true blogging fashion, I shall recap my last weekend for a long time!

Friday's school day came and went quickly as students were working on exams and turning in last minute assignments and I was working on last minute to-dos and packing up my room. [I'll still be at good ol' Progressive Academy, I'll just be moving all my stuff across the hall the the classroom that I student taught in. :) ] Friday evening was pretty typical as Mom and I had spin class. After spin, Mister and I met up with Momma-cita & Dad for supper and ventured to the St. Gerard's Festival. Now we went to this festival last year but it must have been later in the evening because Friday night, the music was a heck of a lot better and there were a lot less drunks!! That's more my style. :) We enjoyed the music and people/dancer-watching and then headed home at a decent hour since we had another 5k Saturday morn.

Temple Christian Schools--where I coached volleyball, Chris went to school, and we attend the church affliated with-- was hosting their first 5k. I was a bit nervous about this one as it didn't start until 10am and it was supposed to be in the 90s throughout the day Saturday. Chris and I met up with Mom and Zac to run our race. There was a pretty good turn out for it being their first 5k so that was good for them. At first there weren't too many people there, so Mom & Zac were likely their odds of placing! ;) Hey, you gotta do what it takes, right?!

Taking off... I'm a ways back yet.
I don't fool myself in starting too far forward! 
Chris had the goal of less than 27 minutes and Zac had the goal of keeping up with Chris [he thinks that not running to train slows you done and deep down he was afraid he'd be lagging with me! ha!] I tole myself I was going to make a goal Saturday morn when I felt the heat [I wasn't sure if I'd be walking or wogging], but forgot to. I'm kind of glad, because I don't think I wouldn't have made my goal by 1 minute 43 seconds had I made one. So my unofficial, non-time related goal was to run my 1st 5k in my new running skirt and to wear a thinner shirt so I wouldn't be so dang hot! Actually prior to this run, I had worn the exact same shirt every race!
My New comfy Running Skirt :)
I think I may live in it this summer--not necessarily running!

The course was nice and I made it to the 1 mile mark without walking--that's always my unspoken goal-- and my only complaint was the water was a bit too late in the run. After the 2 mile mark, instead of at the 1.5 where I thought it would be, made that water all the more refreshing! Had I not worn a thinner white shirt, I may have just dumped a little on me! I felt good after the 1 mile mark and even on the 2nd and 3rd miles, I was happy with myself on my walk/jog wog combinations. I only walked the distances I set out to walk and I found myself jogging a bit longer than initially planned each time. Honestly, I just told myself that in 3 months when I have to push out a baby, I'm not going to be able to just stop pushing and take a break, so I shouldn't just stop jogging and give up so easily! It worked!
Zac captured my mildly disappointing finish.

Like a concerned Momma-cita that she is, as I approached my last tenth of a mile, my momma had water and wanted to make sure me and the lil' one were doing okay! I was though so I had her save my water for the finish line. Zac and Chris were ar the finish line to cheer me on as well, which is always encouraging! [See there is a benefit of being the slowest one of our little group! I can have my pic taken and water waitin' since they've all be done for a while!]
Twink captured the
Ladies Victory!

Overall my time was 36:43. Second best time for me. I thought I wouldn't been under 35 with the way I felt while wogging, but oh well. There's always next time. Chris made his goal by 28 seconds, and Zac was ahead of Chris so he made his goal too. Momma & Zac ended up getting 2nd in their age groups and I got 3rd in mine--which is a first! Really if you would've excluded Leanna, my Twink, who won for the women overall, you could say I got 2nd too. ;)

After the run, we came home, cooled off and headed to Menard's to pick up some last minute things for the garden. We--and by we, I mainly mean Chris-- will be testing out our green thumbs this year. He tossed all the soil and then I helped plant a hopefully bountiful harvest-- tomatoes, green beans, squash, zucchini, lettuce, spinach, and watermelon. Yum! Yum! Hopefully!!

The beginnings of the Harvest.
Complete with chicken fencing to keep our furry foes out!
Roasty-toasty after Gardening.
Here at nearly 29 weeks.
Holy moly. Only 11 more to go.
It's going to FLY!
Then Saturday evening we had a mock-girls night. Some of the lovely ladies that I get together with on Thursdays as well as Chris and I [Chris is the one who made it a "mock girls night"] met up for burritos the size of my unborn child Chiptole and The Creamery. I split half my "child" with Chris--only seems fitting right-- but you better believe the Moose Tracks in a waffle cone was ALL mine!! Delish.

Sunday was Lazyday. Walked to church. Tripped and fell on my hands & knees on the way. Shed a few tears because I was startled not hurt [well maybe my pride was]. Sunday school. Church. Grilled out for lunch. Read a couple months worth in What to Expect when You are Expecting. Snuggled with Mister and he stayed awake for a movie. Napped. Graduation Party. Blogging.

And that brings us to the end so far of my last weekend for awhile. I may end this weekend with coloring my hair and going for a walk, but we shall see.

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe you walked/jogged a 5k that fast! I'm continually amazed by you! Also, I am so happy to see a bump picture :-) You cute little pregnant lady you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I normally don't stalk your blog, but I seen this post on the book and thought what in the world is going on with Rachel. And what do you know, you are running with a baby cooking. 36 minutes too! Wow, you would put me and my babyless bump to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you and your growing family a little more with each update!! I can't believe how great you feel and how productive/maternal/determined you are during all this heat and bun-baking. I'd totally be a whale in a baby pool eating watermelon if it was me!
    Keep up the positivity and pretty soon you'll be crossing a whole new finish line! <3

    ReplyDelete