Thursday, September 9

Finally. *sigh*

Over the course of the past 3 months I have started a post in my mind countless times. I have a thought, experience or conversation that results in "I should write about that" running through my mind. On one occasion I even spent 45 minutes writing a post that never was published because it was never saved. [That's what happens when I'd rather spend time with my husband that on the computer and my computer has a janky battery that dies. Drats!]

Despite all that, an update that encompasses most of the "blog ideas" I failed to type is finally here.

Tomorrow marks the end of week 3 [3 weeks?! Already?! Holy cow!] at Lima Senior. Each week has only been a 4 day week for the students, but I don't think the transition next week to a full 5-day week won't be much different. So the question that lingers, 'How is it?!' And my response to that 'Great!' After doing my student teaching there, I knew I wanted to be on staff full time, but the past 3 weeks has truly exceeded my expectations. So far [*knock on wood*] it has been easier and better than my student teaching experience--which is a pretty big statement.

Reasons why Lima Senior Progressive Academy has my heart:
-No Barbies There: There are "fakes" in every community, but when it comes to my students it's hard to find one. They share what they think. They aren't there to impress me. And if they want something known, they say it. I love this about my students! Some of the conversations that I have the privilege of sharing with my students are ones that could have with students else where and the story is the same, but they are conversations that other students shy away from for one reason or another. This leads to an additional reason PA has my heart...

-You Learn Something New Everyday: Of course I hope that my students are learning something new everyday that has to do with mathematics, but I learn something new everyday as well. This too comes from the students. Many of their lives are so, so much different from my white picket fence upbringing [which I am of course very thankful for for countless reasons] so I can learn so much from them. I hope that they are learning something about life from me as well. But I know that all I can do is live a worthy life and live an open life to absorb as much as I can from others. Some of my students' life stories are ones that I couldn't have imagined and to learn and be encouraged by them is rewarding.

-Living Life on Purpose: We all like to have purpose, I am not special in that, but one thing that I have recognized [although it has been true as long as I can remember I just didn't know it] is that I like to be needed. Call it prideful if you'd like, but regardless I like to feel needed. [Flashback: This was even true when I was in late elementary/early junior high when I would be babysitting either with the parent still there or on my own and if the baby would begin to fall asleep I would do something to keep that babe awake... take away the pacifier, uncover to make chilly, play with their feet, etc. Of course it was nothing that was harmful and I have grown out of this so momma's don't worry about me being near your children! But I would do this because I needed to feel needed by that baby.] So another reason I am PA is because I feel like I am needed for a purpose there, which is twofold. Students need to learn math and understand it in a way that they can apply it outside the fours walls of my classroom but the other fold is personally. I have had 3 students who have chatted with me in a way that I know they have talked with other teachers [I know this because they tell me so ;)]. Some conversations are light-hearted and others more serious, but the great part is that they happen!

Of course I want to be known as a teacher who teaches her content, but on some levels, more importantly I want to be known as a teacher who truly cares for her students. I'm working on it!



*Within the next week [I work better with deadlines] I will retype and post the post I can nearly finished when my computer died. You can loosely hold me to that! ;) *

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rachel! GREAT blog! I'm so glad you wrote one! I'm also so happy that it's going well and you are loving your new job. That is so fantastic.

    Can't wait to read your next one! Oh and I love your new layout!

    ReplyDelete