Monday, May 23

A Compassionate Papa[-to-be]!

So I have another story from last Saturday’s 5k. [I think I am just full of stories today! Ask my 1/2 Geometry class today! They heard stories about the world not ending on Saturday, peeing my pants on the Scrambler at the fair…when I was little of course, and Chris’ ex-girlfriend getting splatted with bugs on the Millennium Force!]

Anyways, this story is about how sweet my Mister is and why I am so excited to watch him interact with our lil’ one in 13 weeks [that seems so, so soon suddenly]!

So as I mentioned in the previous post, after our first 5k together we decided that actually running/jogging/wogging together was not good for us, so Chris started on a head of me and afterwards I got to hear all about his experience. [I think that this in and of itself is one of my favorite parts of 5ks, you may be running the same race, but everyone’s experiences are different. I love hearing all the stories after the race, even from my dad who is usually there to hold our things and fill out our time cards when we’re complete!]

Here’s my best attempt to retell Chris’ experience:

Chris was running along and about at the 1 mile mark, there was a little girl, 8-year old Kaitlyn, whom he had never met before, running  alongside of him. She was breathing pretty heavy, but keeping up with the 8:30ish minute/mile pace. So Chris being the sweet guy that he is, tried to encourage her and tell her that she was doing a great job. About a half-mile later, Chris said that Kaitlyn, still trotting beside him, looked up to him and asked, “Am I still doing a good job?!” “Of course you are Kaitlyn!” Chris responded with a smile!

Later in the run, Chris checked his watch and they had hit the 15-minute mark, so he again looked to Kaitlyn, who throughout the run was softly saying to herself “I can do it! I can do it!” and told her that they were at 15-minutes and more than half way done! She questioned, “Really?! That’s awesome! I’m going to smash my old time!!”

Chris also commented that there were times throughout the run that he felt like he could quicken his pace, but he wasn’t sure how lil’ Kaitlyn’s lungs and legs would handle it, so he refrained from doing so. Chris even thought about walking for Kaitlyn’s sake, but she seemed to be holding up quite well so they continued on together.

For this particular course, there is a guy who has a set of speakers set up on the course. It’s about ½ mile away from the finish line and on the track back to the finish line it’s after the first curve, and the finish line is actually after the second curve. Well as Chris & Kaitlyn came within earshot of the music, she excitedly told Chris “We’re almost done!” It wasn’t until after the curve that Chris had the heart to tell her that they still had a bit to go!

[Sidenote: As I came within earshot of the music, guess what song was playing… Yep, that’s right, “Another One Bites the Dust”! Encouraging, huh?!]

So in the end, Chris made a new friend that day. Kaitlyn did indeed end up “smashing her old time” by more than 6 minutes! Chris made his goal time. And I am lucky to have married such a sweet, thoughtful, caring man and love his compassion towards others, even if he has just met them! He’ll be such a great papa!

No comments:

Post a Comment