Saturday, April 26

Spring Is Finally Here

Spring!!!  Seems to be the time of year when I (Chris) feel like starting things up again....like blogging and gardening and running.  This post counts as one of those three, and I have pictures of the garden's progress.  That means I have yet to start up on the running!  In time.

My neighbors haven't started mowing their yards yet, so I haven't enjoyed the smell of fresh cut grass yet.  As soon as my neighbor begins cutting his yard, I will have to play catch up.  He keeps his yard looking very nice, with short cut grass and good looking landscaping.  I just tend to not mow all the time when others do.  Oh wait, I looked out the window and my neighbor is getting his mower out.  I guess it's time!

I have been busy with the garden though.  Jacoby and Ainsley received some garden tools from Jake and Joie for Jacoby's birthday, so they have been putting them to good use already.  I don't use a tiller to loosen the soil in my garden.  I do it by hand with a garden fork and a cultivator. Every day for a week and a half both kids helped me work up each raised bed so they would be ready for planting.  It made it more enjoyable only working up one bed at a time.

As of today, I have peas popping up and asparagus popping up!  Very excited for the asparagus soon.  The strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries are also budding and growing well.  Here are some pictures of their progress.
Asparagus

Peas, caged to keep Jacoby out!

Blackberries

Raspberries

Strawberries

Barefooted Soil-Sampler

Big sister helping her brother up
In this last picture, you can see my homemade compost.  My mom gave me a compost bin tumbler for my 29 and 2 month birthday last year, and this is the first batch to come out.  I screened out all the big chunks so that it was only the fines.  I'm looking forward to making more batches and seeing how well it works and adds to the garden's health.

Well, this marks the end of a good day!  Farewell until next time.

-mister

No comments:

Post a Comment