Wednesday, October 10

Value System


[I found myself thinking about this yesterday, and I wanted to share some thoughts.]

Does everything belong to you?  What makes you the owner of the things in your house, in your life?  Why is it so important to consider yourself the owner?  Is it to make us feel better about having something that someone else does not?  Or even to have the same type of thing that someone else has?
Where does our value as a human being come from?  Is it from having things?  Is it from where you work?  How much money you make?  Is it the type of work you’re in?  Or is it something else?

Does your value as a human come from what you look like?  What about the type of clothes you wear?  How you talk?  How refined your lifestyle is?

What if your value wasn’t based on any of those things?  Would it be easier?  Would there be less guilt for what we do or wear or think or conduct ourselves?  Would we treat others differently?

What if your value as a human was based on the fact that you are alive?!

That’s it.  You are alive, therefore you have value.

It doesn’t matter what your name is, if you can even spell your name, what language you speak, or how many, where you live, what country you’re from, what religion you practice, how many are in your family, what your job is, what you wear, how many possessions you have, or any of that stuff.

Your value is important because it shapes how you see yourself and others.

Now, shouldn’t it be that way?  I feel as if humans, in my culture and much of the ‘civilized and developed world’ have misplaced how to value life.  We’ve placed it on those lists, instead of letting it be because of the breath in our lungs.

I feel as if I could contemplate all of that for a long time, and I would have many years of working it out as I struggle to replace that value system with the one that has been force-fed to me by my culture.

Yet I bring this up because I was thinking about the upcoming election, and I was recalling a conversation I had the other day.

Where I live, many Christians tend to vote Republican.  It’s almost an unwritten rule in my circles that you aren’t really a Christian if you don’t side with the Republicans.  There are some things that I agree with in the Republican party, but there are some things I don’t, as well.  Abortion—I tend to be against it, but I don’t think it should be mandated policy that no one, ever, should be allowed to have an abortion again.  Will Rachel and I choose to have one if a birth defect or something should be discovered with one of our future children?  I highly doubt we’d opt for an abortion.  But, I’m not going to say that I need to mandate that policy for everyone in our country.  Yes, I would suggest having the baby and allowing for adoption instead of abortion, but I don’t know.  There’s also the issue of the mother possibly losing her life if she tries to give birth or even carry the baby full term.  We have c-sections and lots of equipment to keep a premature baby alive, but it may be a serious question for a mother to face.  So I’m not going to say that abortion would never be an option for someone.  For it to be an option based on convenience for the mother or trying to hide a ‘one night stand mistake’ or something like that—yes, I think that would be wrong.  So I would, again, recommend adoption instead.

Another thing that I tend to agree with the Republicans is the general issue of hard work and earning your own money.  I think everyone should work if they are able, instead of living a life of dependence on a substance or system or taken-advantage-of-family-member.  But I don’t think that describes a certain ethnicity in our country!  Get out of your cozy life and meet some people if that’s what you think to be the case.

Yes, I agree with the principle ‘He who doesn’t work, doesn’t eat,’ to an extent.  Children don’t need to get a job, disabled people (not to be read only as mentally disabled; it includes someone losing a leg or arm, etc.) aren’t always able to find a job, elderly people aren’t always able to continue working as their bodies slow down and begin dying.  Yet I’m pretty sure most people would agree with those three examples too.  (I feel like I’m leaving this topic undeveloped, but my mind is working quickly as I get to the point of this whole post!)

Where I’m going with this post is this: many people don’t want the government to redistribute the money they earn to those who don’t work or can’t work.  I think this ties back in to the value issue.
It seems to me that the real issue is how we value people.

Here’s why: our value system is set up to give certain people more value if they have a certain job, or make a certain amount of money, or have a certain type of lifestyle that’s at least similar to ours.  We tend to give less value to those who make less than we do, or who live in a house that’s not kept up as nicely as ours, or who wear thinner, older, out-of-style-in-a-very-noticeable-way, dirty, not-the-correct-size, rattier type of clothes.  Why in the world do we do this?

Because it’s a pride issue.  We feel more important and better and worth more if we can compare ourselves with someone else and come out ahead, at least in our own head.

So why are so many people against this issue?  I think it’s because people value people improperly.  I’m guilty too, but I want to point this out so we can help each other with this.

What if we started being intentional about not being tied to stuff?  What if we gave away money to people who don’t deserve it?  What makes that money yours anyway?  What if we met and became friends with people who don’t make enough money to own a car?  What if we invited poor people into our lives, into our homes, and shared conversations and laughs and tears and food and things?  What if we started sharing now?

If the government wants to make it happen anyway, why not figure out a way to enjoy it.  It’s somewhat a subversive act, in that regards.  And if there’s part of you that still wants to be a rebel in some way, you can join me in figuring this out.  We can be rebels together.

Now, the practical step.  I am a dreamer.  I tend to think of something and imagine what it could look like.  I really enjoy it.  It's part of who I am.  I'm not so good at actually carrying it out.  Most of my dreams are still in my head, with very few steps taken in the real world.  So, this is where I need your help.  I am definitely pointing to my own lifestyle and choices and comfort as I think about this issue.  I don't like that I point stuff out in others that I still see in myself, but I'm reminded that I have a lot of work needed in my own life too.

So, share your thoughts.  How could we make this work?  What steps could we take?  I don't think I know very many people who vote differently or make less than I do or wear the clothes that don't match the standard in my foolish brain.  So what's something practical that I can do to take a step toward this?

(Now, in closing, I’m not trying to say which way you need to vote.  That has nothing to do with why I’m posting this.  I won’t be upset whichever way you vote, and I think I’ve decided which candidate I’m voting for.  So don’t try to tell me which way to vote either.  We can talk in person, but not online.  Also, please share your thoughts about the value issue.  That’s the point of the post.  Once you’ve shared on that, then feel free to add to the other issues or bring something else up.  But only after addressing the point of this post.  Thanks!)

-mister-

No comments:

Post a Comment