Wednesday, April 21

Unexplainable

This is a delayed story, but one I doubt I'll soon forget.

On Saturday, April 10th after mistakeningly showing up for a 2 year-old birthday bash a day early, Chris & I were headed to visit Josh & Leslie for his [not 2nd] birthday. I was driving and Chris was working in. Sign carving and we entered Indiana heading towards Fort Wayne on 30 before shooting north. Just a little bit after crossing the border, we saw a car parked on the side of the road. Flat black, hood up, no hazard lights. Then a bit further there was a man walking. Common sense told me these two: the man and the car went together.

As I continued to drive, thinking out loud about the man, how far he would have to walk to get to even a house on this highway, and that it *must* be a dead battery because why else wouldn't his hazards be on?! I wondered if we should turn around. I mean it would be REALLY far until a road he could walk down off 30 and even farther to a house that someone would hopefully be willing to help him. Chris seemed to play with the idea for a moment then went back to carving. I couldn't dismiss the situation and was thankful whem Chris finally asked me what I wanted to do...

Turn around.

And so we did. Mind you only a few minutes passed, if that, before we decided to turn around. As I pulled a legal u-y, Chris rearranged our bags in the back seat for a soon-to-be guest and we both confided in the other that we were a little scared/nervous/apprehensive about stopping as neither of us had done this before. [That is if you don't count the time Dani and I stopped for a guy who needed to borrow a cell. We got quite the lecture from her momma who was right behind us. Rightfully so, two senior girls probably shouldn't stop.]

So I drove back towards the Ohio border keeping my eye out for the walking man and the next place I could pull another u-y. I saw places to pull my u-y, but no man. I continued to split my vision on the road ahead and the other lane's ditch but we did not see him, or his car. Our thoughts that there was no way that we drove that far past the man was confirmed when we hit the Ohio border again. I turned around at the border [again] and was baffled as we retracked our treads once again and still no car and no man.

Now if only the man was gone, that would make sense as someone else could have slowed down before we got back and picked him up. But for both the car and the man to be gone it just didn't make sense. We didn't pass a tow truck, the man wouldn't have had time to turn around and get back to his car if someone had stopped to "fix" his car, and on top of that we didn't pass his car on the highway. It just didn't add up.

I was a bit freaked out to say the least and Chris informed me that he too would have been but he wasn't allowing himself to.

Chris wondered if someone somehow helped him before we got back. I wondered if it was a test if we were really *willing* to be a good Samaritan. We both wonder if we will ever know.

No comments:

Post a Comment